Ryan Freel retires

Skeletor

I never really loved the Ryan Freel trade at the time, but I was definitely dissapointed that his tenure here was so short that we never got to really meet his imaginary freind Farney.

(The idea of a flabbergasted Gary Thorne interviewing him, and having Freel switch personas "sorry Gary, this is Farney now" would have made the trade worth it for me).

From Wkipedia:

Freel gained some notoriety in August of 2006 when The Dayton Daily News reported that Freel talks to an imaginary voice in his head named Farney.[3] Said Freel: "He's a little guy who lives in my head who talks to me and I talk to him. That little midget in my head said, 'That was a great catch, Ryan,' I said, 'Hey, Farney, I don't know if that was you who really caught that ball, but that was pretty good if it was.' Everybody thinks I talk to myself, so I tell 'em I'm talking to Farney."[4] Freel later said that Farney's name arose from a conversation with Reds trainer Mark Mann: "He actually made a comment like, 'How are the voices in your head?' We'd play around and finally this year he said, 'What's the guy's name?' I said, 'Let's call him Farney.' So now everybody's like, 'Run, Farney, run' or 'Let Farney hit today. You're not hitting very well.'

Archived